It all began with an idea… by some … oh, in the 60’s, I’d say… Then, one day, it became official:
April 22, 1970, 20 million people across America celebrated the first Earth Day. America was very smoggy at that time and Earth Day was called for.
Now Earth Day is celebrated annually around the globe. Through grassroots organizations and people like you, what started as a day of national environmental recognition has evolved into a world-wide campaign to protect our global environment.
Want any ideas on how you can start your shift on improving our environment, then here are some prompters:
1. Avoid driving by yourself in your car. Carpool, walk, bike, take the bus or tram. Combine errands.
2. Recycle everything you can: tons of info on what & how to recycle online.
3. Plant a tree ~ choose your favorite ones that’s native in your ‘hood. Yes, you can start with a seedling… Or 5 or 10… Or just one, in a pot.
4. Replace old-fashioned incandescent light bulbs with long-lasting energy-saving bulbs. Turn all lamps of in all the rooms you are not in. Make it a habit.
5. Don’t burn household debris and yard waste. Instead, compost yard waste.
Backyard fire pits create emissions of hazardous smoke w/ a possibly high dioxin level.
6. Ensure your next car is a hybrid model. Opt for a small car.
7. Ensure your new appliances are the most energy efficient. Check the energy-star label (US).
8. Safely dispose of household toxins (old household chemicals, cleansers, fertilizer, motor oil, pesticides, batteries, paint or electronics.). Your town will have locations where you can bring them.
9. Use non-toxic household cleaning products. Opt for natural pest control for your garden. Use safe paint & paint-related products.
10. Collect rain water and us it for your garden.
11. Be creative: re-use and re-purpose items that would have gone in the trash.
12. Buy second-hand items whenever that makes sense. Shift your perspective on what ‘second hand’ means. Most antiques and artwork are ‘second hands’. They are ‘good stuff’.
What are you going to to celebrate Earth Day today?
HOLD THE VISION OF A HEALED WORLD
When you hold the vision of a healed world, the actions you can take individually will come to you, wherever you are. May this video brighten your day and help you hold that vision.
Happy Earth Day!