It will be Earth Hour tomorrow, Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM.
What is Earth Hour? Earth Hour is a global climate change initiative, supported by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). Individuals, businesses, governments and communities are invited to turn out their lights for one hour on Saturday to show their support for action on climate change.
And indeed, millions of people are expected to turn off the lights for one hour to raise awareness about the link between global warming and energy use. So, joining Earth Hour is a great way to kick-start your Earth Day plans for next month.
The WWF offers some fun ideas for activities to joyfully spend the Earth Hour. I’ve picked over their list and created a top 10 Earth Hour activities.
10 things to Do during Earth Hour
1. Attend local Earth Hour events – or organize one. Add your event, or get details on events near you at Events, e.g. EarthHourCanada.org.
2. Go outside and look at the stars. Ahhh…
3. Find a great viewing spot to see your town or city go dark at 8:30 p.m. If we don’t start caring more for our environment with more discipline, the darkness you’ll see might be a typical view of planet earth in the decades to come.
4.Go for a lantern walk through a park, and listen to the birds, bats or other wildlife.
5. Meet your neighbors at a street or block party.
6. Patronize local restaurants and businesses taking part in Earth Hour. There are quite a few of them. What a great opportunity to have a candle light dinner.
7. Or, gather your family or friends for a candle-lit dinner at home.
8. Have an acoustic music jam or sing songs together by candle light.
9. Talk to your children about how much electricity your family uses. Brainstorm ways to reduce it. Make a list of ways you could reduce your energy consumption every hour of every day.
10. Agree with your friends and family to join ‘We Are One World Healing‘. This is our monthly world healing meditation group that connects from around the world. Together we send unconditional love and healing energy to the planet and hold a vision of a healed planet in meditation.
Click here to register – it’s free!
During World Hour, you can have a practice healing mediation and visualize a healed planet.